Monday, February 2, 2009

Helvetica Freewrite

After watching the movie Helvetica in class last week, I made an effort to observe the different types of typefaces around me and the contexts in which they were placed. In the past, I had not noticed how prevalent Helvetica was in advertisements, corporate logos, book covers, etc. One thing that I observed, was that the topic or theme of an item had a significant impact on the choice of typeface that was used. For example, at my apartment I have a small collection of political books and biographies of political figures. The typeface used on the covers of these books was something that appeared more serious. I saw Helvetica and similar typefaces in more “casual” places, such as the logos for shops that sell items for the household (Target, etc.).

In addition to noticing the style of typeface around me, I also realized how much typeface was around me. Without making a conscious effort, I had not previously realized the amount of text that we see in our everyday lives. In reality, we are surrounded by it and would not function as we do without it.


George Mason University

No comments:

Post a Comment